[Jacob-list] sick ewe update

Tom and Judy Riddolls grey_wethers_farm at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 3 20:50:11 EDT 2006

as many likely predicted mandy did not make it.  shortly after my last
message she passed on, i had given her injections of calcium (which
contained electrolyes and sugars) and dewormed her even though her eyelids
were in my opinion fairly pink.  but when i condition tested her in the
spring before lambing i found she was hardly better then a 0, people here
said that is impossible that she would be dead and so she was likely very
malnurished when we got her, and i knowing nothing of sheep at the time did
not check this.  .her ewe lamb, the only ewe lamb out of the whole bunch (so
this most be written in the stars) will not be sent to the butcher as
planned but kept as mandy's replacement and has aply been named Mindy.  She
always was very cute and has her mother's beautiful horns.  though many was
one of those sheep whose facial structures always made her look like she was
smilling, she was almost quite comical, sadly sharon, her half sister has an
angry look about her and is a little harder to love as she is more agressive
but a very good mother, she scored much higher and i have wormed them all
just in case and am giving her alfalfa cut from the field, not a mountain
but a pound or two to give her a bit extra.  Our other three lambs from
another flock look like pigs they are getting so round and fat - and these
ones have never touched grain (they don't even seem to know what it is, and
they are last to the hay bin and low on the ladder) but everyone seems to be
growing fast, so i must assume Mandy was weak from day one, and nursing big
healthy twins was too much.

so for the books can you take a 4 year old ewe that score very low (1 or
under) and fatten her up to a 2? i was trying to do this in the spring but i
gave them just as much grain as i could and still keep their bowels happy
and all kinds of really good hay and still no improvement. is it possible?

thanks for all the support for Mandy, she is now under some trees by the
pond with our other pets that have passed.

tom