[Jacob-list] West Nile & Sheep

Karen karen at benjaminfarms.com
Sat Sep 2 16:55:10 EDT 2006

    Does any one know if sheep can get West Nile and what the symptoms
are?  My sheep are sick.  Runny noses, coughs, some pretty sever
congestion.  I have wormed, LA 200 shots, tetracycline in the water,
myocine(?) in the grain,  I have even started some of them on
Benatrayl.  I can get them better, but as soon as the meds wear off, the
flock is sick again.  So I am thinking this is viral,  maybe West Nile.
We live in a mosquito infested area and have had two humans locally die
this year from West Nile.  Also I have had several people around this
area tell me, they have had animals die unexpectedly on them and not
know why.
    Two of my sheep, have become so congested, that they could not
breath thru their nose and started foaming at the mouth.  Any suggestions??
Thanks Karen
Benjamin Farms  Utah