[Jacob-list] ram is mate batterer

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 19:34:29 EST 2006

I have a ram that seem to have a problem when there is more than one ewe in with him - he picks on one and keps hitting her. Anyone else have to run the ewes in with a ram one at a time? I don't think Frank did this last year when he was just a lamb and had as many as 5 in the pasture - later, the barn at one time.

It is almost like he sees the 2nd ewe as competition. The two most recently with him now are twins and I have removed one 2 times. Wonder if taking the one he likes out and putting the other back in later will help or just move her to a ram that is not a batterer? Frank is a nice low-color blue-eyed guy I got from Carl Fosbrink and I am using him against my ewes that have max color.

If anyone in Ohio needs a ram, I will be needing to part with some of my adults that are getting too big for me to handle after this breeding cycle. All 4 are registered - 2 4-horn Shadowbrook born rams and 2 2-horn with great genetics from other farms. First comers get first choice.