[Jacob-list] Dung seeding

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun May 21 17:25:08 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'd like to grow some dung and wonder if anyone can recommend a source for dung seeds??

I'M JOKING!!  Please don't send anything - we have an ample supply of dung!  I just couldn't figure out what to use for a subject line and "dung seeding" made me think of planting dung.

I'm not really sure what the proper name for this is, but it's when you mix pasture seed in with your livestock's grain, so that the seeds are passed with the dung where they will sprout and grow.  I read about  it in an article on pastures and the only reference was something like "small seeds such as clover (bermuda, whatever) will pass through the digestive system intact and mixing with grain is a good way to spot seed pastures". The reference was about feeding cattle. I've searched for more references, but haven't found anything more.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Could it be harmful to sheep or donkeys? Sand colic comes to mind as a possibility if the seeds were not passed. Of course, I would not consider feeding treated seeds.

Linda

Check our site for Jacob Sheep for sale