[Jacob-list] Scurs and freckles

rns1260 at adelphia.net rns1260 at adelphia.net
Sat May 20 07:26:10 EDT 2006

  The first ewe, I ever purchased turned out to be a scurred ewe. I was a novice buyer. I was advised to upgrade her by keeping only the ewes and wethering or butchering rams. I have not had any problem with two horned offspring.
  The same holds true with freckling. It is in the Jacob lines, but I don't try to fix the trait . I use unfreckled rams when I breed. The genetic diversity is still maintained through the ewes. The object for me is to limit what might other wise be compounding a problem.
Cheryl
Rise "N" Shine Farm