[Jacob-list] Lamb diarrhea correction correction

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Tue May 16 19:20:15 EDT 2006

>Coccidiosis is a definite possibility. It is not a bacteria, but rather a
>parasite, and requires more extensive treatment with Corid. There is
always
>some coccidia present. Close confinement of livestock and exposure to
adult
>feces increases the parasite dosage rate and causes problems. Where the
>lambs are grouped, the feeding of ionophores like Bovatech becomes more
>important. If one lamb has it, then they all have it.
>
>Neal Grose
===============
Another correction.  Thanks Neal, there is a big difference between a
parasite and a bacterium, glad I'm not a vet.  Rather than coccidia the
parasite, I was thinking coccus the bacterium.  I don't know where Kathey
could get Corid, but there is a lot of information on the Internet about
coccidiosis.  I routinely use at least one bag of medicated creep feed for
my lambs.  Some say the medication (Bovatech) is useless.  I assume it
gives some low level protection.  BTW, medicated creep feed is toxic to
dogs and probably other critters.

Here's some links:
Sheep 201 - Internal Parasite Control
Coccidiosis is very common in sheep, especially young, growing lambs. ...
of coccidiosis are usually treated with sulfa drugs and amprolium (Corid).
http://www.sheep101.info/201/parasite.html - 48k

Treatment with Corid ® amprolium has been the major treatment alternative
until
very recently. ... We like to simultaneously give Sulmet sheep tabs. ...
http://www.goatwisdom.com/ch1baby_care/coccidiosis.html - 5k -

I wonder if she could treat the lamb for both coccidiosis and bacterial
scours?  Would one treatment interfere with the other and negate any
helpful effects?  Can other diarrhea treatments, Pepto-Bismol and
live-cultured yogurt, be used in conjunction with either one or both?
Would be good questions to ask a veterinarian or someone on this list.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho