[Jacob-list] De-horning and de-tails

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Mon May 1 14:14:03 EDT 2006

LOL Fred!  And well-spoken!
Melody
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jacobflock at aol.com
  To: jacob-list at jacobsheep.com

  If you allow me to posit "form" and "function", I will create the horns of another dilemna. Perhaps 95% of form and function are unseen but what of that small remainder that is seen?

  The Jacob horn (polyceraty) is a specific breed chracterisitc.  Its form is basically black and growing in such a manner as to not impede its well being, a strcuture that is other than scurs (long and short), aberrant horn, and certainly, not polled.  The function of the horn (by virtue of sheath and core) is that of a supplemental temperature regulator and a ewe perceived mate asset, observed in the wild, a brain protection structure.  De-horning the Jacob removes form and function but does not, itself, make it a non-Jacob (genetically speaking).

  The breed characteristic of the form of the Jacob tail is medium to the hock (16 vertebrae), active and not wry. The function of the tail is to provide balance (counter weight) and poop-hole wiper.  De-tailing a Jacob removes form and function but does not, itself, make it a non-Jacob (genetically speaking).  De-tails, de-tails.

  The loss (by accident or our intervention) of a body form sometimes results in the loss or dimunition of body function.  The loss does not change its inherent genetic substance and the ability to consistenlty reproduce itself.  Sometimes the loss or dimunition strenthens another form or function by transferance. What about de-ball spinners have with the protein laden fleece from wethers.  Is there a link betwen testosterone, horn protein and fleece protein? Some of the considerations for de-horning can be found in de-tails.

  Fred Horak