[Jacob-list] banding and horns

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 07:42:30 EST 2006

Great point on the banding thing Neal!

For the list...

As shepherds, we all realize that not every ram will make an ideal  wether.
We have to make cull decisions based upon a number of  factors.  The first
thing that comes to mind is simply the shear number of  rams one flock may have
in a given year.  Now, I'm for diversity and,  at many times, use 4-6 different
rams at breeding time to continually diversify  our lines.  But we also
realize not every shepherd(ess) can do that!

Performing the "short scrotum" thing is a great way to grow out your  butcher
lamb without running the risk of him being fertile later in the  fall.  The
scrotum is pendulous because it is the natural  way keeping the testicles
cooler than the rest of a ram's body -- a must  have for fertility!  When banding
for locker lamb (at young age of 4-6  weeks here), we will routinely push the
lamb testicles back into the  body cavity and simply band the scrotal sack.
The ram will still be  "intact", make testosterone, grow larger in size, even
have ram-itude. But,  because the testicles are continually exposed to a higher
body temp  (remember, sheep are normally close to 103), it generally renders
the ram  sterile.  It may not be 100% effective like an open castration
(complete  surgical removal of the testicles and scrotum) but if you are butchering
anyway, does it matter?

As for horns and what to do with them...

After we butcher, we also remove the horns with a hack saw.  Boiling  the
horns (outdoors is a very good suggestion) will loosen the cartilage for
removal.  Adding salt or baking soda to the water is a good idea.   I've never
utilized "raw" horns -- the horn base "cartilage" (what I call it)  is still living
tissue and will decay over time.  I cannot imagine  having decaying horns
attached to my cabinets -- the coin style method of  cutting left me this picture
in my head I just cannot get past without pointing  out the need to remove the
horn base cartilage tissue first.

We use ram horns in making canes and walking sticks.  The right side  horn is
great for right handed people and they left for lefties.  I like an  upright,
straighter horn for staff's and walking sticks.  We have a photo  of one of
our horn topped canes on our website: _www.paintedrockfarm.com_
(http://www.paintedrockfarm.com)  -- just take the Homesteader's  Market link from the home
page to view it.

Buttons fashioned from horns are another option, albeit a time consuming
task.  If anyone out there has suggestions for this tedious task, please  contact
me!  We get a huge number of requests for buttons, toggles, etc.  for people
making sweaters and cardigans out of our wool.  I can't  always keep up with
the demand so suggestions are welcome!

On carcass issues...

I would not feed the carcass to dogs or any other creature -- bury him  where
he was and make sure it is very deep to avoid a scavenger buffet  bar!
Feeding a rotting carcass is a quick way to send your dog to the  vet with a case
of pancreatitis.  This is a painful ailment (I had it  following a childhood
bout with mumps) and usually very expensive to treat due  to the need of IV
fluids, medications, etc.  Again, another one of those  "ounce of prevention"
things!  Furthermore, not knowing why the animal died  would be a cause of concern
in feeding the meat to another animal.  I would  say this even if you had
found him sooner and knew exactly when the ram  died.  I still would be concerned
about handling and using the horns  without this information.  I tend to err
on the side  of caution so rarely a mainstream opinion here! :)

Good luck in the horn endeavor -- post a note if you come up with other
interesting ideas.  I'm sure there are many folks out there with extra  horns that
need a job!

Take care -- Cheryl

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits