[Jacob-list] HELP! Springtime Problems...

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 23 07:42:36 EST 2006

Chris and all,

  Did you get the lambs (or any of them) to the state ag dept for necropsy?  That would give some answers I would think.  I know there are units throughout the state as the trip to Raleigh (Rollins lab) would be just a tad long for you.

  Mary Ellen

Linda <patchworkfibers at alltel.net> wrote:
          Were the twins just suddenly dead the next day?  By inactive, do you mean the third ewe's lamb never stood?  It doesn't really sound like white muscle disease.  The topic was discussed on the list a few years back.  I had a large lamb born back then that I really wanted to save.  He was alert, he sucked well, but he didn't stand.  I even took him to the vet (which is rare for me) hoping that it was white muscle disease and he'd be instantly cured. The vet diagnosed oxygen deprivation during a difficult birth and didn't feel it was a selenium deficiency.  Oxygen deprivation might account for one of your lambs, but not all.

  I believe you're in public health?  Do you think something like vibriosis might be a possibility?

  I'd be interested in hearing replies to Christopher's post.  There have been many times when something I learned on the list proved useful later on.

  Linda

  www.patchworkfibers.com

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:10:01 -0800 (PST), Christopher Brantley wrote:
> OK, I've had four lambs born thus far here... and four lambs have
> died. The first was to a yearling and I wasn't terribly surprised
> to find the lamb dead the next day as it was very small and the
> mother was totally confused about what to do with it.
>
> The second ewe was older and experienced, the twin lambs were born
> yesterday afternoon well sized, active and nursed productively, the
> third ewe also experienced singled and the lamb was well sized, but
> simply inactive when born.
>
> We are selenium deficient, but I add mineral to their grain and
> keep free range minerals available. There are not signs/symptoms of
> illness among the ewes. nor the rams. It has been a sudden burst of
> bitterly cold weather this week with the lambs' arrivals. Although
> last year we had colder weather, although we did not have such
> unseasonal warm weather before the lambs arrived.
>
> Any other ideas as the reamining 11 ewes approach delivery time?
>
> -Christopher

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool