[Jacob-list] 2006 lambs

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Sun Mar 19 14:38:39 EST 2006

Heather,

Are seeing some small blister looking sores on the mouths of your  lambs????
If so, this might not be sore mouth!  Lambs can get a form  of the papilloma
virus causing small blistered areas to appear around their  mouths and bottom
of the nostril area.  Rest assured, if you have horses in  your area or have
had horses on your farm, this is most likely the cause.   Fortunately the virus
is self-limiting in about 10-14 days, requiring  little (if any) intervention
from the shepherd(ess).  If a lamb gets  too crusty around the nose, it may
become difficult to nurse due to a possible  change in their "smellers", which
is their best sense. You may see a  decrease in that lambs interest in nursing,
maybe not.
If you do handle the lamb to clean the crusty areas, you should wear  gloves
and/or wash immediately afterwards JUST IN CASE.  We had this happen  in our
second lambing season and absolutely panicked we had a sore mouth  issue.

Now, if you are dealing with a true case of sore mouth, then its another
story.  It can be a very serious issue.  We live in WV, which hasn't  had a known
case of sore mouth in several years (stress on the "known"  part).  The
potential spread of the virus is very high and I'm thinking  this is definitely a
zoonotic issue  -- meaning it can spread to  people too.

Contact your vet for a proper health program in getting this under  control.
There is vaccine for sore mouth but it may or may not be  warranted in every
case.  A vet could help you decide what is in the  best interest of the flock
-- it would be worth a phone consultation!

Good luck -- Cheryl

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits