[Jacob-list] How and when to dock lambs tails

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 20:06:44 EST 2006

I agree with Linda -- the earlier the better!  I have docked my  smaller
lambs (like 5-6 lbs.) at 3 days, while the larger ones get done no later  than day
2.  I've docked tails at 1-2 days this year since we've had some  larger
lambs.  Our smallest births were 6-6 1/2 lbs. -- did them at day  2.  I also use
the Elastrator banding technique -- it's easy, quick and I  feel the least
traumatic to the lamb.  You will probably get a lot of  feedback on this vs. other
techniques.

Length of tail is another discussion -- if you plan to show your sheep,  make
sure you check state guidelines for minimums/maximums, etc.  Of  course,
there may not be any available info on that when you need to perform the  task!
The way I learned to judge length was raising the lambs tail (it  helps to have
someone hold the lamb for you) where you can see the skin  folds (caudal
fold)on each side, coming down from the rectal area.  I  normally place the band ju
st down from this area.  You should be able to  feel the vertebrae in the
tail -- I try to place the band in between them at the  2nd one down past the
caudal fold.  I like our ewes to have their rectums  and vulva areas covered,
although I have missed the mark and gone a little  shorter a few times.  This has
been esp. true when I've been doing this  myself while holding a wiggly lamb.

Good luck -- Cheryl

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits