[Jacob-list] ewe with bloat?

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Mar 10 09:34:32 EST 2006

Bloat may be caused by a number of conditions. Anything that temporarily shuts down proper rumen function can mess things up.

We most frequently think about it in relation to consumption of alfalfa, red and white clovers. Grass is usually not a problem, and mixed hay shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Keep in mind though that moldy feeds can cause bloat unexpectedly. This mold may not be very obvious, and obviously moldy feed may NOT be a problem. It is change in feed that is often the culprit, and breaking into the feed bin qualifies. I have grazed our Jacobs on lush sweet clover and never seen a problem. Cows or Suffolk's would blow up like blimps. I suspect that Jacob sheep are not as likely to overeat or eat one thing exclusively as are some other breeds.

The other thing that might be true in your case is lack of vagus nerve stimulation of the rumen. Your description of a low-grade, long-term problem would make me suspicious of this. It would pay to pay extra attention to her in this case.

Neal Grose