[Jacob-list] Babies and eyes

ACAMDA at aol.com ACAMDA at aol.com
Wed Mar 1 10:12:24 EST 2006

Good Morning!

We, too, have a nice crop of lambs this year, with only 2 mothers yet to
deliver.  The count stands at 5 rams and 1 ewe, though.  And the boys are all BIG
boys.  They look a week old at birth!

But I need help with an older guy.  We have a 2 year old wether that has an
ulcer on his cornea.  The vet came out and gave us medicine to put in his eye
twice a day.  So far, we've only been able to catch him once a day, since we
all go to school and work.  We have put him in a smaller pen with another wether
and each evening run them into a much smaller "catch" area to dose him.
After day one, he got wise and is determined NOT to go into the catch pen.  Last
night it took 5 of us to steer and run him in.

I'm too old for this.  I'm to the point of wanting to put sedatives in his
water!  The vet checks him again tomorrow.  I would welcome all suggestions as
to how better to deal with him.  We have a MUCH smaller pen (6 x 8), but my
husband says he would probably just beat the pen to bits if he's in such a small
area.  We could keep the other wether close enough for him to look at. If the
two of them are in the smaller pen they would just have enough room to turn
around and that's about it.

Also, if any of you have dealt with eye problems of this type before, I would
appreciate knowing what you did.  I trust my vet, but I also realize that
other remedies might work just as well.

Thanks!

Kathey

Katherine Williamson & Barbara Dawson