[Jacob-list] not getting along

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Thu Jun 29 08:25:05 EDT 2006

Tom,

Introductions often cause a change in the "pecking order" within most  groups
of animals and sheep are no exception.  The ramming, butting  and so forth
allows them to re-re-establish who is boss and many will not  tolerate new
comers without this show of force.  The one you may  see as causing the most
problems is likely in the top 2 of the group, possibly  the boss, although I have
seen the #2 sheep do more of the bullying when they  feel their secondary status
may be threatened.

We often pen new rams with our original ones for several days in a small
enough pen where they can stand, turn and lie down but cannot get that running
start that causes so much injury in the head butting.  We have done ewe  groups
the same way with very good success.  They key is to make the space  as small
as possible and you can even utilize hay bales, straw or other soft  objects
to break up the open space.  Two or three days usually does the  trick.  Of
course, you can allow them to work out their issues on their own  without
intervention.

We have sheep from various farms within our flock.  I have  noticed that
sheep raised together that come in from other farms tend to stick  together rather
than mingle with the rest of the flock.  I have 2 ewes that  have been
together since the youngest was a lamb and the older a yearling.   They are always
together even after 14 years and rarely seek out company from  any sheep other
than one another.

Good luck and rest assured this is most likely just a temporary  transition
for your sheep.  They will eventually reach  an understanding of who is boss,
who is next in line and so forth.  No  worries!

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits