[Jacob-list] Jacob breeder in Marion OH

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 21 18:45:07 EDT 2006

A woman in Marion OH bought a Jacob ram last summer and paid cash in  full.  This past Feb, she agreed to buy two more sheep and came to  get them with her children and only $40 and no checkbook.  Well, I  let her take the sheep  (minus the papers she would need for  Donna's ewe and the registration certificate on the ram) with the  understanding that she was to send the money later. She has given me  one excuse after another - today she said she mailed the check over a  week ago.  Previously she lost my address- once her mother took it  over the phone and lost it, etc.  Donna who owned one of the sheep  she took (that was here to get bred) said she is lying about the check  sent last week and Donna is tired of hearing these tales and wants us  to take her (Marion woman) to small claims court.

  Does anyone else run in to this with sheep buyers?  How   should I have handled it when she showed up minus the checkbook?

  This woman also told me her daughter (who is a junior member) was  looking to get a free sheep at the MD show.  I suggest the  daughter be disqualified until her mother pays up or returns the sheep  she took. Marion woman is NOT in the latest flock book, but daughter  is.  In the meantime, suggest other breeders avoid buying from or  selling to her.  I am not naming her publicly, but will
  discuss privately with anyone on the edge of dealing with a breeder  claiming to live in central OH.  There are mosly responsible  people here - up until this incident.

  Thanks for reading and considering.