[Jacob-list] Coughing lambs

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 11 11:24:43 EDT 2006

>We have a couple of lambs with a dry cough. It is noticeable different
than a cough when they are just removing hay particles. It >has a open
hollow sound as they are sucking back in. Any suggestions?

>Thank you,
>Cheryl and Dasiey
=========
Could be pneumonia, check for a temperature (anal temp).  Nuflor antibiotic
works great for general respiratory problems, see website www.nuflor.com,
also found in many livestock supply catalogs.  I always have some on hand.
I get it from the vet clinic store.  They will sell me 10 ml for about
$8.00, instead of buying the larger bottle for $50.  I usually don't need
it and 10 ml is certainly enough to treat a lamb.  If you can't get Nuflor,
many people use Penicillin.   Use Procaine Penicillin, 2cc/10 lbs under the
skin for 7 days.  Penicillin is easier to find, but Nuflor doesn't need to
be refrigerated like Penicillin does.  Always best to see a vet.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho