[Jacob-list] resistance to antibiotics

Liz whiskey_wy at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 12:18:32 EDT 2006

Sorry this response is so late compared to the orginal posting. I've been on vacation and traveling with horses and the like.

  I work in a laboratory as a human lab tech and the reason there's drug resistant organisms in humans and not in animals is, we tend to follow the dosing instructions for animals. If the vet says for 10 days we give the meds for 10 days at the recommended dose. SO ALL of the bacteria are killed that need to be killed.

  In Humans we tend to take our meds until we are feeling better. Leaving behind some of the organism that is making us sick to survive through the dosing. Which can make them build a resistance to the meds. If we were as dilligent about following our doctors dosing instruction as we were about our vets. . . it wouldn't be a problem. :)

  Lilly
  Horizon Ewe
  Peaks n Plains