[Jacob-list] Feeding question

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 28 01:10:15 EST 2006

Just read the Jacob Digest.  I was told that feeding just alfalfa hay and
COB would result in a fat lamb and birthing problems.  Then there is also
the fat ewe.  Starting in January (I lamb in March) I give my pregnant ewes
some alfalfa in the morning and grass hay in the evening.  I give them a
pelleted, complete ration every other day with minerals mixed in and grass
hay in the evening.  If the 'poop' is like a calf's or the round pellets
are small, sounds like there is a lack of roughage.  A good source would be
the alfalfa stems or the stiff stems found in a grasses like timothy.
Stems have more roughage than leaves and sheep really need the roughage.
Some people feed the hay one day and don't feed the next so that the coarse
stems will be eaten.  I try to do that, but I usually give in to the crying
ewes and give them new feed.  I just wait to feed them until later in the
day so they can pick at the stems in the early morning.   My vet keeps
telling me that sheep don't need to eat a rich diet.
Hope this helps.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho