[Jacob-list] the perfect sheep

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Sun Jan 8 14:41:32 EST 2006

Isn't it interesting how each of us have a unique idea of what the "perfect
sheep" entails?  Markings, eye color, fleece traits, etc. vary from person  to
person and flock to flock.  A few years ago I thought I had possibly  found
the ideal ram based upon my own desired traits and flock goals.  I  had a ram
who had 4,  well-spaced, balanced horns, fleece of an  outstanding quality in
the ideal 40/60 color pattern, marbled eyes (a  personal fav), all the right
markings and in all the right places, etc.  So  what was the problem?

Inconsistent lamb quality -- Regardless of the ewe bred,  all the off spring
he produced were multiple horned and more than 90% were  aesthetically
"perfect" on horn structure (strong laterals, exc. spacing, etc.).  The color
patterns, however, varied greatly from the very dark to the very  light, with few
lambs achieving a balanced color ratio and distinct  spotting pattern.  I used
this ram on various ewes for 2 separate breeding  seasons and the results were
the same -- inconsistency.

My so-called "perfect" sheep is as genetically diverse as possible.   We
breed for ZERO inbreeding co-efficiency in our lambs AND, since adopting this
policy, have produced quality lambs that produce quality lambs that produce
quality lambs.  Since we implemented a "consistency" policy, each  year our lamb
quality has greatly improved. This policy applies to  ewes and rams alike -- we
look for consistency on BOTH sides.     I would venture to say "pretty is as
pretty does" in the case of my  "perfect" ram search.

Like someone else on the list said, you may have a so-so ewe that produces
outstanding lambs year after year.  Our foundation ewes are prime examples  of
our "selection" process.  One triplet dam solidly produces excellent  overall
quality lambs regardless of the ram to whom she is bred.  This ewe  isn't the
ideal sheep "visually" but her consistency in number of lambs  produced with
excellent overall traits far surpasses some ewes we have used in  the past and
have culled since.  I am a firm believer in progeny testing  and production
records for our Jacobs.

I do not believe in inbreeding period -- this our flock  policy.  Others may
agree or disagree with their own flocks, which is  perfectly fine. We just
don't practice that and never have.  I see  those traits in which one may desire
to improve by inbreeding are  also subsequently "fixed" as the generations
progress --  good traits and bad.  Merely culling those without the desired
"look" is  not the answer, especially when dealing with multiple births.  After
all, the siblings are genetically identical, right?  Culling the "black  sheep"
(no pun intended) of the litter while still allowing the "pretty  one(s)" to
remain isn't achieving my personal farm goals.  When Jacobs were  first
introduced and raised in the US, lines were limited at best both in number  of
animals and distance traveled to obtain diverse sheep.

My sheep are not "perfect" nor do I expect them to be. But as  long as we
maintain a genetically diverse flock, then I am on my way to  achieving one of
our flock goals -- which is to produce diverse, quality Jacobs  meeting and/or
exceeding the breed standard that also produce the same.   For us, that is our
contribution to the conservation effort with this lovely  breed of sheep.

Beauty is often times in the eye of the beholder.  In looking out into  our
pastures, my eyes are filled with beautiful Jacobs not matter what they  "look"
like.

Cheryl

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV 26201-9205
(304)  457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French  Angora Rabbits