[Jacob-list] Lambs and beyond...

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Jan 6 08:01:44 EST 2006

I didn't notice that Chris was looking for the "perfect" ram - just a "good" ram.

Around here, I judge a ram as "good" if he crosses well with my ewes. The ewes are the heart of the flock and I'd say that with the practice of using a ram only one or two years, but keeping daughters from my favorite ewes most years, some of my ewes have contributed more genetically than any ram.  All judgments on the value of a ram are made on the basis of what he (hopefully) will produce for me with my flock.  The decision is based on alot more than just looks and takes into consideration the background of the ram and the ewes.  I hope Jacobs breeders will never agree on what makes the "perfect" Jacob.  The phenotypical diversity is what makes these guys so interesting!

Here's an interesting article from Sheep Magazine - "making new bloodlines with the ram you have"
http://www.sheepmagazine.com/issues/01_02_03.html#article1

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com