[Jacob-list] Twin lambs - cold!

spotted_sheep at bluefrog.com spotted_sheep at bluefrog.com
Mon Feb 20 12:39:43 EST 2006

We have our first twin lambs this AM - both are quite cold!  Marie went
out early and found a ewe lamb in a corner and the mother couldn't find
it it seemed.  When Marie looked at her, she realized she had another
lamb coming, and she assisted by breaking the water as the ram lamb was
struggling to breathe.  We brought the ewe lamb in and immersed her in
a bucket of body temperature water, and then we ended up doing both
that way - cute seeing two little heads sticking out of the
bucket...but worried that they may not make it!  We called up Steve
Barrows, and the only suggestion he gave us we hadn't done yet was
molasses water (no Nutridrench here yet) and we thawed out some sheep
milk from freezer and gave them "chocolate" milk...So, now the ewe lamb
is walking, the ram lamb isn't too well yet.  It seems like they switch
as to who is doing better and and who is worse! Marie is very pleased
with them both, she plans to keep this ewe if she makes it and the ram
she thinks someone might want for breeding.  She didn't say that about
her first two ewe lambs born last week!
Sue and Marie