[Jacob-list] Vaccinations

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Mon Feb 6 12:11:17 EST 2006

There is a valid point about over vaccinating in dogs and cats.  There  is an
increasing amount of autoimmune disease in the veterinary world and there
are SOME links to over vaccinating.  I have not, however, heard of this in  the
"farm" world of animals.   Fortunately, there are tests for  antibodies
available in dogs so the possibility may be present for other  species.  Random
testing might prove beneficial but also more cost  effective than testing an
entire flock.  But I still feel the relative  small cost of a preventative
vaccination is a sound investment.

 I also feel each shepherds situation is different and what is  effective in
one flock may not be in another.  Having the equine species on  your sheep
farm is one example of a greater need to vaccinate against  tetanus.  For our
flock, losing a sheep to something preventable like  tetanus by not vaccinating
isn't worth the risk.  We have horses and we  elect to vaccinate against this
disease.

Each flock manager must assess the risks of disease as a number one  priority
-- enlisting veterinary advice ALWAYS proves useful in developing a  sound
Health Program for flocks.  My opinion is that personal feelings,  life style or
other "beliefs" about vaccines are not near as important as sound  medical
advice.  Of course, use common sense in implementing a health  program.  Our
needs vary according to each farm and providing  effective flock management,
bio-security measures, etc. can only benefit the  very species  we are working so
diligently to conserve.
Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits