[Jacob-list] Sheep polio

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 1 22:09:44 EST 2006

> I've not heard of polio in sheep and my Merck doesn't list it
> either
========
Sheep polio is caused by a lack of the vitamin thiamine (vitamin B1) in the
diet.  The sheep recover dramatically once the vitamin is supplied usually
by injection (get it from the vet clinic).  If that is not available, grind
up some tablets from the local drug store.  Place in water and give orally
with a syringe (no needle).  It probably isn't a common problem.  In the
winter especially, I give my sheep commercial bread once a week, one slice
per sheep once a week, the bread from the grocery store contains thiamine.
It's more of a treat than treatment.  Do not overfeed bread to sheep, it
will make them sick
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho