[Jacob-list] Feeding sheep

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 18 21:54:38 EST 2006

--Jaci wrote:

>I feel like I must be doing something wrong......I have four ewes and one

ram and live in CA. For four years I have gotten my 100# alfalfa bales for
$8.00. That is all I feed my sheep
==========
Do you feed a mineral source? Should be minerals with selenium (many soils
are deficient) and little or no copper; in other words, a mineral mix made
for sheep. Too much copper is toxic to sheep. If the ewe has enough
selenium, it will reduce the chance of White Muscle Disease in the lambs.
Some folks give Bo-Se injections to the lambs to prevent this disease. I
feed the ewes enough selenium so I have not needed to give the lambs Bo-Se,
but I have it on hand, just in case. The mineral mix made for sheep is
available at the feed store. Some people find that feeding just alfalfa
results in fat sheep which increases the chance of having birthing
problems, especially prolapses. We start feeding mostly alfalfa about 2 or
3 months before lambing and then continue until there is pasture. They
also get extra minerals, free-choice, twice a week and a concentrated feed
pellet called Livestock Blend (contains minerals). COB will do, if you
also feed the mineral mix often. This product is a complete feed including
calcium, protein, fiber, other minerals (no copper) and a few vitamins, and
some rolled whole corn. We also feed grass hay in the evening, mostly for
the fiber and to keep the rumen healthy. The sheep get some alfalfa in the
Fall, depending if we have extra bales to spare. We feed mostly high
quality grass hay and a small amount of Livestock Blend, some pasture, in
the Fall.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho