[Jacob-list] Feeding sheep/COB

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Mon Dec 18 18:49:20 EST 2006

Here in north Georgia, you won't find alot of alfalfa grown and what is grown locally isn't really the quality you'd see up north. I lived in Michigan for a few years and we grew alfalfa hay. You don't see hay like that grown around here. The feed stores will bring in alfalfa hay from up north, but they are small bales and high dollar. The best deal for hay here is a 50/60 # bale of Russell Bermuda for $4. Fescue is the most common hay available, although it seems that alot of hay growers use the term "fescue" to mean anything that they didn't actually plant - lawn clippings, weeds, etc. Because I don't want to make any drastic changes in my hay, I currently have Bermuda, fescue, and a fescue/timothy mix. Because we don't always know what hay will be available I want to make sure my girls will eat what is available. Georgia sheep can't afford to be too picky :-) It is not complicated to feed them - it is complicated to assure a steady source of hay. We didn't have the room to store much hay this summer so weren't able to stock up when it was more readily available. Next year I'll be stocking up early.

Meg, do you mix your own COB? Or is it a premix?

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com