[Jacob-list] ram's horns

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 13:56:40 EST 2006

I think horns keep agrowing even after breakage - esp for rams.

my 4H guy Rudy broke (actually dislodged) hist left lateral by banging on an exit door and it was loose in Nov of 2005. The horn reconnected but drooped and I had to cut the end 2x where it was touching his chin-bone before I took him to a vet who sawed it off about 2" from the connect point. This was after his reg pictures, of course. IT is still growing and one of these days after I move the ewes out, I'll catch him and check it. My other 4H guy is fine but he is forever using his horns on a tree trunk in his enclosure. The ewes do not seem to do this, but it is easy for them (4H ones) to break horns running into one another or when they are being trapped for a shot or to be moved.

Joseph Laughlin <phl2jdl at msn.com> wrote: Our Jacob and Horned Dorset rams had a disagreement yesterday. End result was the Horned Dorset now has the lower half of one of his beautifully curved and balanced horns twisted askew at a growth ring. I tried to straighten it out but he jammed it pretty tightly and it wouldn't budge for me. There was blood so there was damage to living tissue. Has anyone been able to straighten or repair a twisted horn? If it breaks off completely can it somehow be reattached? Should I just leave it alone? He'll be two in Feb. so I think the horn has finished growing. Jo Ann