[Jacob-list] sick ewe

Tom and Judy Riddolls grey_wethers_farm at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 30 11:31:16 EDT 2006

my herd queen i just noticed is not well, this morning she did not eat much
hay but looked fine, yesterday was normal but maybe slept more than usual.
now (at 11:00) she is swaying on her feet, quiet and looks to have vomited
or drooled cud.  not sure, there is discharge around her mouth, chin and
nose, she is very flacid and let me open her mouth and up her nose, the
discharge is yellow and seems to be plant matter, so i assume that is the
cud, never actually seen it before.

do sheep pick up nails and glass? our pasture has bits of old metal in it
and garbage that we have been cleaning up. would they do that?

the pasture is getting pretty poor and i hay them quite a bit and gave them
some corn the other day because the new hay is also very poor.  could there
be anything there?

she looks tired and weak and her sides are sunken in, she's about 5 and her
two lambs are still nursing some.

any ideas?