[Jacob-list] Re: Herding with Jacobs

Shannon Phifer kenleighacres at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 11:39:51 EDT 2006

Hi!  Yes, I train all types of herding dogs on our
Jacob Sheep.  I have a small flock that is for this
purpose only and the rest of our Jacobs are herded
with our Border Collies.  If you know what you are
doing to begin with, they make great herding sheep.
They flock together reasonably well and are dog broke
rather easily.  By "dog broke" I mean that they flock
to a person when the dog is working them.  When you
are starting a new dog, or puppy, you definitely want
to have dog broke sheep.  I teach 3 herding classes a
week and the jacobs are the only sheep I have for this
- they have been worked by dogs ranging from Shelties
to Rottweilers.  My students laugh that my sheep are
trained better than most of their dogs :)  I have one
group that will come when I call them, even with a dog
sitting right next to me.  If your friend has
questions, they are more than welcome to send an
e-mail.

Thanks,
Shannon Phifer
www.kenleigh-acres.com