[Jacob-list] Herbicides?

Steve and Trish Barrows agf777 at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 23 07:41:07 EDT 2006

We began reclaiming our pasture from woods and brush over four years ago.  Most of it is on a hillside.  I logged, cut brush; have limed; seeded with an orchardgrass/timothy mix; I mow it, yet there is still a significant amount of pokeweed, thistle, and some sort of low broadleaf vine that all work to reduce the available grass forage this time of year.  Has anyone had any experience with a broadleaf herbicide?  I've read the labels of the most common agricultural ones (all containing 2, 4-D) here in central NYS, but cannot find anything specifically about usage with sheep.   How long would I have to keep them off a sprayed portion?  I have lambs that will go to market in October.  In planning fall breeding, what about possible birth defects/abortions?  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I know I send this at the possible risk of getting "thumped" for even thinking about an herbicide, but I would rather be informed....Thanks!
Steve Barrows, Amazing Grace Farm