[Jacob-list] Fence questions

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 8 14:04:35 EDT 2006

>>Hi,
>>Would like to know what type of fence people are using on their Jacob's?
>>We have tow very enterprising escape artist. Electric, Sheep/goat 4x4,
and electric netting does not stop 'em, any >>suggestions will be taken in
that great data bank for the next fence.
>>mitch
================
We use just basic, 4 ft tall, field fence around the pastures.  However,
the fencing around the paddocks near the barn and other shelter is quite
different, all heavy duty materials.  This is where the sheep spend the
nights and most of their time.  We eventually made it all heavy duty
fencing and steel posts.  When the ram was young he would break (ram) the
wooden fence posts, so we replaced them with steel ones.  The posts to the
gates were replaced with steel ones, the hinges are welded on to the posts.
Gates are heavy duty, metal, tubular ones.  The sheep pushed the field
fence up, made a few holes in it, one ewe jumps over it  We added 5' tall,
heavy duty, large gauge, cattle panels along side the field fence in the
paddocks.  Everything has been strengthened over time.  Some of the cattle
panels are bent where the ram hit them in an unsuccessful attempt to get
with the ewes.  At least this type of fencing keeps them in.  Once, the ram
also managed to lift up the field fence near the barn, scooted underneath
and ran down the hill and hit my husband in the rear.  He wasn't hurt.  The
cattle panels stop this.  We should've sent the ram to the butchers, but
kept him.  He has mellowed over the years, but we don't trust him.  The
improvements were costly initially, but they last a long time.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho