[Jacob-list] Dehorning sheep

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Thu Apr 27 09:45:01 EDT 2006

Thanks to all for your responses!   This gal seems to be well-meaning, but not too savvy.  I'm sure this amount of negative input will stop the process.   She just wasn't too willing to go on just one opinion,  but wanted confirmation.  I don't know where she got the lamb,  there are quite a few people around this area that have  small flocks of 5 or 6  and a few who have larger flocks--but I would also wonder about the person who sold it to her.  First off, why didnt they tell this gal that if she was concerned with horns she should buy a different breed?  Also,  while I have sold bottle babies as pets before (never taking them off the moms to do so, though) I would not sell a lamb or sheep to someone to be an "only sheep".    Maybe I'm a bit picky, but I firmly believe that a single sheep is an unhappy sheep.   And I certainly never sell without finding out what the buyer's knowledge is, and being sure they understand what is entailed in keeping happy, healthy sheep.   Well, enough of my favorite soapbox LOL doesn't pay to get me started on this!  Again thanks for your help--I'm sure we saved the sheep's head and possibly its life.
Melody