[Jacob-list] dehorning sheep

CARL FOSBRINK carlfosbrink at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 08:20:44 EDT 2006

   If the lamb is only two months old I am wondering if it was disowned or taken from it's mother so it could be raised as a pet. I don't like taking lambs away from good mothers. I would not subject this lamb to the pain of dis budding at all. Please recommend that she sell the lamb to someone that would like a horned sheep and buy a polled lamb.

Melody <critterland at bendcable.com> wrote:           Need some input, please.  I just had a call from a woman who got a Jacob lamb as a pet.  It is now about 2 mo. old, has horns up about 1/2 inch according to her, and she wants to have it disbudded.  She is afraid of the horns with her small children.   She does care about the lamb, though, and was looking for advice.  The person who has offered to disbud the lamb (using an iron as for goats) is afraid it will be too stressful and harmful to the lamb.  I've never heard of disbudding a lamb, so I don't know what to tell her.  Frankly I'd like to go and snatch that lamb right off her place and bring it home--what was she thinking to get a Jacob if she didn't want horns?  But I need some opinions.  Would the pain/stress of disbudding be harmful to the lamb?  I know lambs react differently to pain than kid goats do.
  Melody