[Jacob-list] lamb kit

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Tue Apr 25 10:53:06 EDT 2006

To the previously mentioned items, if you're of a mind to do so, you could add some iodine for dipping navels of lambs (prevents infection via the cord and resulting navel ill);   I also keep molasses, and after lambing when mom and babes are in the jug, offer a bucket of warm water with some molasses in it as a boost for tired mom (not practical if you have a large flock, are not present during lambings, and/or don't jug your moms with their little ones.)        Also, just in case, keep your fingernails trimmed short and (very important) take off rings and watches BEFORE attending a birth, unless your rings are on so tight it would take an act of congress to get them off.  If by some chance you do have to reach in to adjust a position or pull a lamb, you don't want to have to go back in to get your ring or watch, and a sheep's placental membranes and fluids can do horrible things to a watch, especially a very nice dressy watch--don't ask me how I know.
Melody