[Jacob-list] Lamb pneumonia

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 22 18:44:23 EDT 2006

--Gillian wrote:
>Yesterday I noticed that he had a crusty nose so decided to watch
>him. This AM he was coughing so I took his temp, 105. I plan to
>call the vet later (it's 5:30)
===========
I second the pneumonia diagnosis.  In my own case, I had a 2-day-old lamb
with labored breathing, no cough.  I held him up and put my ear to his
chest and I could hear congestion.  We have a very wet spring and it has
been difficult to keep the straw dry.  The lamb also had a difficult birth,
I had to assist.  I used Nuflor antibiotic for 5 days.  The lamb's
breathing cleared up after the first treatment ( within 24hrs).  Next year
I am going to try the pneumonia vaccine that is placed in a newborn lamb's
nose.  Some people use Nasalgen, I received a different product.  In
Lawson's book "Managing Your Ewe and her Newborn Lamb", she calls it
IBR-P13 intranasal vaccine.  I asked at the vet clinic store and they knew
exactly what it is.  Nuflor (www.nuflor.com) is a good product for treating
pneumonia or other respiratory problems, plus it can be stored at room temp.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho