[Jacob-list] permethrin

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Mon Apr 17 10:15:19 EDT 2006

Pyrethrum is a botanical pesticide derived from chrysanthemums.  It is
GENERALLY classified as safe to most animals, including dogs & cats.  I  would have
to assume possibly the same for livestock -- again, an assumption  there!  We
try to limit using topical pesticides whenever necessary and  have yet to
experience problems with lice, keds, etc.  We do use  Ivomec on our sheep so  I
credit that product, along with our guinea's in  keeping those pests at bay! :)

Permethrin is the synthetic, man made stuff -- aka pesticide.  I have  seen
this in OTC flea treatments for dogs the stuff is HIGHLY toxic to  cats.  At
the veterinary clinic where I work, we see many feline reactions  to products
people use on them that are labeled for dogs only.  Most cases  are fatal,
although the few we managed to successfully treat often have  permanent side
effects from brain damage -- very sad to say the least.  The  strangest case I
recall is from 3 cats who shared the home with a dog that was  treated with a
product containing Permethrin.  The cats were not treated  but still reacted with
various levels of central nervous system issues ranging  from tremors to severe
seizure activity.  I avoid this stuff like the  plague!

Cheryl

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits