[Jacob-list] Re: New USDA mandatory program

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 29 22:38:45 EDT 2005

--Neal wrote:
>We need to keep in mind that small farms are just as likely to be vectors
in the spread
>of Avian Influenza and Foot and Mouth disease as are large ones. This is
the spark
> that has accelerated the move toward universal ID.
=============
This is very true.  I was surprised at the amount of support for this
program on the International sheep-list.  The bird flu is a great concern
and there is an interest in monitoring the poultry farms, big and small; in
order to prevent a world-wide pandemic of Avian Influenza.  Looks like I
might have to implant microchips in my 70+ birds (chickens, ducks, geese,
and peafowl) and do all the necessary paperwork.  In the Orient wild ducks
are one of the primary carriers of the virus.  How are we to monitor the
wild bird population?  I also see a lack of funding for this program,
especially in the enforcement of it.
Cathy Partridge
Moscow, Idaho