[Jacob-list] New USDA mandatory program

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Sep 29 21:09:33 EDT 2005

I'm going to admit right off that we tend to eschew any government programs that we can.  I have not and will not apply for the $18 (or whatever it is now) per ewe lamb bought or retained.  It's not worth it to me.  But, I can't really afford to not be in the conservation program which cuts our taxes by $700/year, so I'm certainly not a purist.   An interesting aside - the conservation program requires that you produce an agricultural product on your land, be it animal or vegetable.  When I applied, the tax guy said "you're supposed to be producing something, but if you aren't that's okay".   Neal has a good point - if the government can't find Louisiana, I'm not sure if it will be able to find my donkey, who has never had any contact with local vets.

That aside, I'm not sure why mandatory ID would drive out the small scale producers?   I certainly will not be happy if/when I have to report every sheep here, but I already have detailed records for the last 13 years.  My Dad is retired DOD and they have been able to zero in on your address by satellite for many years.  I'm in the mandatory scrapie program here in Georgia.  The tags and applicator were free.  Personally, I don't like the look of plastic tags in the ears of my primitive sheep, but having to tag them isn't a financial burden.

Linda

Meet our new blue eyed spotted baby :-)
http://www.patchworkfibers.com/whatsnew.html">http://www.patchworkfibers.com/whatsnew.html