[Jacob-list] Stud service price

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 11 13:27:30 EDT 2005

Hi, we have a friend who has Jacob ewes. She wants stud service and we
were wondering what people charge for that.
Marie and Sue
==========
We charge $50 for one ewe and the ram stays with the ewes for a month.  It
mostly depends on the price of feed.  One friend of ours brings over two
ewes and $100 seems like a lot so we give him the "two for the price of
one" deal.  The ewes don't eat much because my ewes push them out of the
way for the first two weeks.  I require they are healthy and dewormed.  The
last few years the payment has been $20 and one large turkey, he raises
turkeys and picks the ewes up in mid-November just in time for
Thanksgiving.  Some sheep owners wouldn't consider stud service because of
the chance of transmitted parasites, diseases, etc.  I've had ewes come
here for 6 years now with no problems, but I also know the farms they come
from.
Cathy Partridge
Moscow, Idaho