[Jacob-list] Gaurd Animals

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 30 10:09:34 EST 2005

We've had an intact male as a guard llama for five years now. Until a
couple years ago, he was guarding our goats and we never had a
problem with him. Two years ago, we sold the goat herd. We have had
him guarding breeding groups of Jacobs and he likes the smell of the
rams in the Fall. When a female llama is in heat, they lay down and
the male lays on top of them. Danny-Boy tried to lay on the rams.
They got up and beat him about the legs, several times, and Danny-Boy
finally got the idea  that the rams didn't want to be mated. Until
this year, we had him in a pasture with a group of ram lambs. We
started seeing mating behavior and I should have moved the llama, but
since it had never been a problem before... So, I went out to feed
one morning only to find a dead ram lamb, suffocated by the llama.
Danny-Boy is now in a pasture adjacent to the sheep. I also have
three female llamas, two of which will guard and have no problem with
the sheep. The third female was raised only around other llamas (she
was four years old when we bought her) and she doesn't like sheep,
chases them away from the food, spits at them, etc. When we rotate
pastures and have sheep in with the female llamas, we have to feed
her separately to keep the peace.
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm
Oakland, OR