[Jacob-list] Scrotal circumferences

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 20 15:09:17 EST 2005

Can anyone help this lady?  Her sheep sound about the same size as the
Jacobs.  I don't know anything about this subject.
Cathy Partridge
Moscow, Idaho
aztreaz at earthlink.net  We have our spam filter on high so you might get a
notice from Earthlink, just ignore it, we get the messages anyway.
Thanks, Cathy
=========
I know that larger is generally better but I can't find any data on
the average circumference of rams from small breeds. We just tested
and collected semen from every single adult ram on the place and took
scrotal circumferences as well.

Scrotal Circumference ranged from 19 cm on most of the yearlings to
35 cm on the largest and oldest ram. Average for our boys was 25cm.
Weights on the rams ranged from about 75 lbs to 120 lbs with most
rams at or near 100 lbs. Semen quality was generally very very good,
one ram, body weight of 75 or so and scrotal circumference of 25cm
managed to produce a collection that generated over 50 insemination
doses. The people doing the collection and freezing said that by
breed the semen was generally more concentrated and of higher quality
than they had seen in any other breed collected when you looked at
the whole set of rams we did.

Just curious if anyone has data on other small size breeds.