[Jacob-list] mixing breeds

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Mon May 2 06:58:50 EDT 2005

Hi Trish

We have always kept a mix of breeds without major problems.  They are only
separated when the rams are in with the different groups at breeding time.

Our breeds are very different sizes, from Jacobs, which here are about 60 -
70 kgs, through Hebrideans and Shetlands which are 35 - 40 kgs, down to Soay
which are about 22 - 25 kgs.  We also have some large cross-bred downland
types.  One of the funniest sights is a Soay ewe head to head with a big
woolly-topped downland ! They don't fight, just act out and are in fact
great friends.

Some of our sheep are horned and some polled but this doesn't seem to be a
problem either, at least with the ewes.  With the rams, the size difference
can be important, and we have found this year that we have to keep the Soay
rams separate as the big boys were keeping them away from their feed.

I have no personal experience about keeping Wensleydales, but I can't see
there being any problems with them.  As they will be growing up together,
they will find their place in the pecking order during normal play.

HTH
Juliet in Scotland UK