[Jacob-list] burst bladder?

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Tue Mar 15 19:37:02 EST 2005

I've never heard of it in sheep, but I know it is not too uncommon in goats who are banded young. It can also occur in intact males, though, especially if they are fed too much grain. Many goatherds add ammonium chloride to their feed to help prevent it.  7 weeks is the youngest I've ever heard of it, though; I hear of it much more frequently in yearling wethers and in mature bucks. I wonder if the reason it seems to be more prevalent in goats is the difference in the way (most) goats and sheep are fed.  Perhaps the tendency to grain goats more heavily could affect the frequency of occurrence?
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR

  ..........  The vet there
  > told me that when they are neutered real young, their urinary tract
  > does not mature and they are very suseptible to blockage.

  She asked if it's the same with sheep.  I've never heard of this problem.  I imagine if it happens in goats, it can happen in sheep.  Doesn't seem that it could very common or someone would have mentioned it.  Has anyone ever heard of this?