[Jacob-list] Casterated rams (was wethering yearlings)

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 7 15:20:32 EST 2005

Hi Connie,
     I have two castrated rams.  I liked their horns and decided to wait so
they could grow.  They were castrated at 8 months.  By all means, use a
veterinarian.  I would've removed the wrong parts<grin>.  We held him down
and she gave a local injection of something to numb the area.  I helped
hold, but couldn't watch.  She was done cutting things out in just a few
minutes.  She didn't sew anything up, just cleaned the area well,
disinfected area and I watched for any infection later.  No problems with
healing.  It cost $50 per ram.  The ram walked funny for a day or two after
that, but then who wouldn't?  I keep my ram separate from the ewes for most
of the year, so I gave him some buddies to keep him company.  I have two
wethers (males castrated before sexual maturity) and two castrated rams
(males done after sexual maturity).  My neighbors love to eat Rocky
Mountain Oysters, so I gave them the ones from the rams.  I didn't think
people really ate those things!!
If you need any more information, just email me.
Cathy