[Jacob-list] Scurs

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Jun 2 15:11:43 EDT 2005

It is not at all unusual for young four horned lambs, especially ewes, to have small, somewhat wobbly, laterals.  In many cases, these will break off, exposing a horn core which develops into a good strong horn.  Close examination will usually show the horn core - that's going to be a true horn.  Breaking laterals on ewe lambs is fairly common around here and in 99% of the cases, the ewe ends up with strong true horns as laterals.   I've only ever had one four horned ewe lamb (Martha) that never broke a horn.  Her laterals were small, flattish, and seemed loosely attached, but they slowly firmed up as they grew.  Viva, who probably has the nicest laterals of all my ewes, had laterals that broke off as a lamb.

I hope all the talk of scurred laterals hasn't sent anyone out to cull baby ewe lambs!  Lambs develop at different rates.

Linda
What's New at Patchwork Farm?