[Jacob-list] getting stuck in the fence

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Jul 28 19:04:41 EDT 2005

I wonder sometimes if my preference for four horned sheep might be partially because it drives me nuts to have to keep cutting the fence to get the two horned lambs loose.  In my brief experience with dairy goats, I didn't disbud.  Naully had a terrible habit of challenging the rams through the fence and then getting her head stuck.  As you can imagine, it put her in a bad situation - a mad ram and she was unable to retreat.  I taped a pvc pipe to her horns and she couldn't get her head stuck in the fence. That worked ok.  A few years ago, I was tending a neighbor's sheep and found a Romney wether (no horns) with his head stuck in the fence.  He was in full fleece and in the direct sun and he was dead.  I remember someone else mentioning losing sheep that were stuck in the fence.  I'm planning on putting a strand of electric about lamb head level, which I think should work - as well as teaching baby rams some respect for the fence.  Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks
Linda

Getting ready for 2006 lambs!
www.patchworkfibers.com