[Jacob-list] Worming

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Mon Jul 18 13:53:17 EDT 2005

In my area - and it may not be the same as your area, the vets recommend we worm sheep at double the recommended cattle dosage.  They do recommend worming only as needed and only who needs worming.  Generally they (our area vets) say that the flock parasites are less likely to develop resistance when using higher doses less often  rather than small doses more often.

I use ivormectin injectable, given orally.  It's the easier to measure precisely and I think it comes out cheaper than buying the horse paste.  That may be because I'm always sticking the horse paste tube in my pocket without a top and forgetting it's there until it all squishes out.

Years ago (5 or 6) University of Tennessee did a study at Edd's.  Their conclusion was the most effective deworming method was giving ivermectin and strongid at the same time.  A couple years ago, someone forwarded me the same study done again by UT, but this time on goats, with the same conclusion.

I use Valbezan for tapeworms as it seems more effective than Safeguard.  Of course not using it on pregnant ewes.

One thing that noone has mentioned and that I never gave much thought to until recently is coccidiosis.  All sheep probably carry coccidia, many with no outward indications or ill effects.  But, a lamb can be down before you even notice anything.   Drenching lambs individually with corid for five days is something to consider.

Linda
What's New at Patchwork Farm?