[Jacob-list] Worming question

Christopher Brantley labradorridgejacobs at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 14:30:15 EDT 2005

Sherry,

Being at a higher altitude with a cooler climate, I tend not to have many major worm issues with Jacobs... Goats around here seem to have more worm troubles than sheep for some reason. I do preventative worm treatments all the same. I use a rotation of Cydectin, SafeGaurd, and Ivermectin.

I love finding a good paste as the Jacobs seem to enjoy getting that treatment more. However, often I can only find the liquid drenching solution. In that case, I just use a syringe and squirt it down the back of the toungue and have thusfar had no problems. The only drawback I can see is if you don't spend time with your critters and do some hand feeding. They may be hard to manage without a few people to hold them in that case

-Christopher

Countryfried40 at aol.com wrote:
I am interested in what type of wormers most use here.  I have yet to get up the nerve to buy the drenching equipment and go that route.  I have used boluses (sp?). Which are just BIG pills given with a pill gun you force into the mouth and shoot it in, by depressing the plunger.  Also I've used wormer pellets you mix into their feed.

I hear Ivomec mentioned here, but is that the paste ?  I've seen it for horses.  I hear from other sources that you should rotate the wormers and use several different kinds to offset the worm load.

I appreciate any ideas.

Sherry Nichols
E.TN