[Jacob-list] Re: Jacob-list Digest, Vol 3, Issue 17

A. Marshall and J. Noles marshallandnoles at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 12:55:06 EST 2005

Nick Donnangelo wrote:

Lastly, a few years ago one of
cousins  in the south of France - a professional chef and owner of a
B&B) demonstrated how to make "formage de la brebis" beginning with a
few of his neighbor's ewes.  Looking at my girls I don't quite see
how I
can "get my hands around the situation."  Has anyone been successful
milking Jacobs?  Since they are relatively small, any tips on
technique?  Given cleaning the utter, hands, etc is mastitis still a
concern?

Nick,

I too have an interest in milking my Jacobs for the household. My
partner & I are in the process of setting up a sheep dairy, though we
will be primarily milking East Friesian and Lacaune Dairy sheep. My
partner and several other people whom I have corresponded with have
milked Jacobs.  The teats are indeed tiny and hand milking requires
using just a couple of fingers and thumb.  Much easier is to use a
portable milking machine with small shells made for sheep and pygmy
goats.  Jacobs are not however known for producing great quantities
of milk and have a short lactation.  However, sheep milk freezes
exceptionally well so you may freeze it until you have enough to make
a batch of cheese.

Mastitis is ALWAYS a concern with dairy animals!  Udders must be kept
very clean and dry, and preferably the ewes should be kept standing
for 1/2 hour after being milked to give time for the teat sphincter
to fully close - a good time for that treat of alfalfa or good hay to
munch to keep her standing.  I recommend that you join the diarysheep
list on yahoo groups to ask questions of the more experienced dairy
shepherds and cheesemakers on that list.

John Noles
Red Dragon Farm
Mount Vernon, KY