[Jacob-list] Timing is everything

Donnangelo,Nicholas C. ncd at mitre.org
Sat Jan 22 20:55:32 EST 2005

Back around the first of September I removed our ram from the ewes, and
did not put them together again until around November 1st.  Maybe folks
more experienced than I am wouldn't have barn surprised, but my jaw
dropped when I went to the barn a few days ago to check on one of my
ewes who appeared lame that morning and was greeted by an extra two sets
of eyes.  Another ewe has also just dropped twins.  All this as
temperatures dip into the single digits with snow and howling wind!  I
like to shear in mid-February, before (ideally) March lambs.  Given the
cold snap, should I shear now to keep the ewes in and down, or will the
extra load caused by shearing in this weather (staying warm in addition
to lactation) perhaps lower their resistance?  Secondly, while I like to
stick to good alfalfa hay given the cold I have been supplementing the
ewe's with 1/3 scoop of pellets, is there a consensus that this is a
good idea or should I stick to hay.  Lastly, a few years ago one of
cousins  in the south of France - a professional chef and owner of a
B&B) demonstrated how to make "formage de la brebis" beginning with a
few of his neighbor's ewes.  Looking at my girls I don't quite see how I
can "get my hands around the situation."  Has anyone been successful
milking Jacobs?  Since they are relatively small, any tips on
technique?  Given cleaning the utter, hands, etc is mastitis still a
concern?

Thanks.

Nick Donnangelo
Shiloh