[Jacob-list] propylene glycol---please check your facts

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 19:56:34 EST 2005

Abigail and anybody else who doesn't know......

Propylene glycol is recommended at 4 ounces to treat pregnancy toxemia in ewes by vets and quite a number of highly respected veterinary and sheep sources.  I don't get into arguments with all of them when they are ALL recommending the same thing.

I did find one of the more inflammatory websites that went on about propylene glycol (along with some other ingredients) purportedly in antifreeze being used in various and sundry ways in humans/animals.  This information is FALSE.  There are vast numbers of good that the internet generates, and then there is quite a bit of mis-information.  It is always important that we look beyond the hype and get up with the real facts (case in point that just makes me fly off the handle would be Atkin's dieters......They provide me job security!  YEAH!!!)

Go check out these resources if you don't have a vet that you can call for help when you have a sheep not doing right:

1.  The Merck Veterinary Manual:  page 457 in the 7th edition recommends PG be used at 4 ounces to treat pregnancy toxemia in ewes (ovine ketosis).  It is stated that this reduces mortality.

2.  Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep by Paula Simmons and Carol Ekarius.  Page 215 addresses even the issue of the type of glycol in antifreeze and propylene glycol as being completely separate products)  Copyright 2001.

3.  Laura Lawson's Managing Your Ewe, page 209...recommends 2 ounces twice daily in her recommendations.

I am sure there are quite a few more, but just looked in the first 3 books that came to hand around my house.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool